The title says it all: Carrots and Sticks Don't Work.
Reward and recognition programs can be costly and inefficient, and they primarily reward employees who are already highly engaged and productive performers. Worse still, these programs actually decrease employee motivation because they can make individual recognition, rather than the overall success of the team, the goal. Yet many businesses turn to these measures first—unaware of a better alternative. So, when it comes to changing your organizational culture, carrots and sticks don’t work!
What does work is Dr. Paul Marciano's acclaimed RESPECT model, which gives you specific, low-cost, turnkey solutions and action plans-- based on seven key drivers of employee engagement that are proven and supported by decades of research and practice—that will empower you to assess, troubleshoot, and resolve engagement issues in the workplace:
- Recognition and acknowledgment of employees' contributions
- Empowerment via tools, resources, and information that set employees up to succeed
- Supportive feedback through ongoing performance coaching and mentoring
- Partnering to encourage and foster collaborative working relationships
- Expectations that set clear, challenging, and attainable performance goals
- Consideration that lets employees know that they are cared about
- Trust in your employees' abilities, skills, and judgment
When you give a little RESPECT you get a more effective organization, with reduced turnover and absenteeism and employees at all levels who areengaged, focused, and committed to succeed as a team. In short, you get maximum ROI from your organization's most powerful resource: its people!